Your independent living coordinator
During the first week your independent living coordinator will visit you to welcome you to your new home, and tell you everything you need to know about living in independent living accommodation.
The independent living coordinator will explain:
- The facilities available within the scheme
- How to use the laundry facilities provided
- How to use any keys supplied
- Any health and safety procedures
- What to do in the case of a fire
- How to check equipment, such as the alarm and pendant
- Our service standards and help with any queries or complaint
What is an independent living coordinator, and what do they do?
Every independent living scheme has a independent living coordinator who works either part-time or full-time. They are there to ensure the safety and well being of residents and to provide a link with doctors, families, friends, housing teams, and any other support services needed.
They will keep in contact with you, according to your preference, either by personal visit or via the intercom system. If an emergency arises and they are not available, the call will transfer to our 24-hour Control Centre where a member of staff will summon assistance.
You can expect the following service from your independent living coordinator:
- A call, according to your preference, either by personal visit or intercom (there is a minimum level of service that will be explained to you)
- Response to emergencies within working hours and liaison with appropriate agencies
- Equipment checks
- Keeping your personal data up-to-date through support plans
- Assistance to organise social activities
- Individual support plan and risk assessment to assess your needs, within a month of you moving in.
What can’t the independent living coordinator not do?
Your independent living coordinator will do lots of things for you personally, and for the scheme, but they cannot:
- Change dressings or give medication of any kind (such as administer drugs or help with eye or ear drops)
- Cook meals or do your shopping
- Bank your money or pay your bills.
If you have any questions about moving in or the role of your independent living coordinator then they would be more than happy to help.
Alternatively you can find out more by contacting us.