Asbestos is a naturally occurring material made up of tiny fibres. It was used in the building industry until the late 1990s when the adverse health effects of exposure to loose asbestos fibres became known.
Why may asbestos be a problem?
Asbestos is harmless until products containing it become damaged or worn and the asbestos fibres are released into the air. When very high levels of these fibres are inhaled there is a risk of lung diseases, including cancer.
How do we manage asbestos?
The only way to identify products or materials containing asbestos is to have them analysed in a laboratory. We are carrying out an asbestos survey programme to register all asbestos-containing materials in properties that we own and manage.
What does an asbestos survey involve?
A specialist surveyor will visit your home to undertake an appropriate survey (unless we already have one for a home similar to yours). This will involve accessing all areas in your home and taking photographs and samples of suspect materials.
When your home needs updating (such as installing a new kitchen or bathroom) we advise the contractors of the location of any asbestos-containing materials.
Are you at risk?
No. Asbestos is safe unless it disturbed and fibres are released. The sampling process will be carried out by trained personnel and you will be asked to leave the area while this process takes place.
Important tips to remember
Asbestos is safe unless it is disturbed, so remember the following tips:
- Before carrying out any DIY email please contact us first.
- Don’t drill, sand or scrape anything you think may contain asbestos
- Always soak wallpaper before stripping and use a steam stripper if possible
- Don’t try to remove textured coatings from ceilings and wash any areas of flaking paint, before repainting
- Don’t try to remove old floor tiles – lay the new floor covering over them
- If you suspect any asbestos-containing material has been damaged in your call us on 03333 204555 without delay