Tips for keeping your home safe
There are some simple things that you can do to keep your home safe and secure.
Keep it safe
- Find out where your gas and electric meters are located and learn how to turn the power or gas supply off in an emergency
- Find your fuse box and learn how to change the fuse or re-set the switches if you need to
- Locate the water stop-tap so you know how to turn off the water supply in the event of a burst
- Keep a torch near your electricity meter, in case of power cuts.
Keep it secure
- Fit window locks to all your windows and especially those on the ground floor
- Get to know your neighbours or, even better, set up a Neighbourhood Watch Scheme in your community
- Report suspicious activity to the police
- Don’t leave valuables in public view or near windows or doors
- Don’t let anyone into your home without checking for identification; use a door chain.
Discounted home contents insurance
Progress Housing Group does not insure your furniture and personal possessions, this is your responsibility.
However, we have teamed up with the National Housing Federation to bring all our tenants and residents the My Home Contents Insurance Scheme which is designed to protect tenants and residents against a whole range of risks.
Some of the benefits are:
- No yearly commitment, pay-as-you-go
- The freedom to pay either fortnightly, monthly or annually
- No excess
- No minimum home security requirements
- Optional covers available
For a free application pack: