Are you claiming Universal Credit?

If you claim Universal Credit and pay rent of the monthly payment you receive will be for your rent. This is called housing costs.
Your monthly payment will be paid into your bank account, and you will be responsible for making sure that you pay your rent and any service charges to your landlord.

What should I do next?

If you are entitled to Universal Credit housing costs, it is your responsibility to pass the new rent information
on to the Department of Work and Pensions.
You can do this by:

  • Signing in to your Universal Credit online account and completing the report a change section
  • Calling the Universal Credit helpline on 0800 328 9344 (Monday to Friday – 9am to 4pm) 

On 6 April 2020 (or as soon after)

You will need to provide the following information - the new rent, the new property-related service charge, and that the charges are weekly.

Universal Credit pay part of my rent; how do I work out how much to pay?

To work out the amount you have to pay:

a) Look for your total rent figure in the letter we have sent to you
b) Take away the amount of Universal Credit housing costs (if paid to a landlord) you receive, and the remainder is what you should pay.

Please contact Progress Connect on 03333 204555 if you have any questions or queries.