As energy bills continue to rise, you may be thinking about alternative ways to keep warm in cooler weather.

Using portable heaters is a popular alternative to central heating, including halogen and fan heaters and oil-filled radiators, but they can increase the risk of a fire in your home if not used correctly.

Most of these fires are caused by simple mistakes that could easily be avoided, including knocking heaters over, which is easily done, particularly if you have young children and pets running around.

Older people and children are particularly at risk, so when you are making
sure elderly relatives and neighbours are warm, or your children are playing,
follow these simple tips to make sure that they are safe:

  • Put your heater on a level surface, well away from anything that could knock it over
  • Ensure your heater is at least a metre away from combustible materials, such as paper, furniture or curtains. Never use it to dry your clothes!
  • Never leave your heater unattended whilst in use or while you are asleep
  • Never power a heater from an extension lead – they can easily be overloaded and cause fires
  • Regularly inspect your heater for damage and deterioration. If it isn’t in good condition, don’t use it!
  • Avoid secondhand heaters. Make sure you buy from recognised manufacturers and retailers.

Find out more

Further information about the safe use of electrical products at home is available at: