Rent setting and service charges review 2022/23
From 2020/21, the government announced a five year period of up to CPI +1% increases for general needs and independent living rents. However, nearly all of our supported living rents fall outside of these restrictions and are decided by board.
The highlights for 2022/23 rent setting are:
Following tenant consultation, the board has approved a rent increase of 4.1% in line with the maximum allowed for all general needs and independent living. Most of our supported living core rents will also increase by 4.1%. Some of the reasons for applying the maximum increase are detailed below:
- The Group has seen increased compliance costs for maintenance and salaries in line with other providers and inflation. Additionally, the Group will see further costs of £5 million for decarbonisation
- Our rent levels are reasonable and in line with what other providers charge
- We continue to invest in our existing properties
- We have ambitious development plans
Service charges 2022/23
Many tenants pay a service charge in addition to the core rent. This additional charge is for services such as:
Cleaning, grounds maintenance, lift maintenance, and fire safety. A full explanation of services provided by Progress Housing Group can be viewed here.
We review our service charges every year in line with what it costs to deliver them. We do this to ensure the charges are fair and reasonable.
Below are some highlights of this years’ service charge costs:
- World energy prices have been increasing, which is reflected in communal heating and lighting costs. Electricity costs are increasing by 65%, and gas costs are increasing by 120%.
- Where personal heating and lighting costs are included, these are also seeing similar increases.
We understand that you might have worries or concerns about the predicted increases. We are committed to supporting you should you face financial difficulties. Our specialist teams are here for you and can provide guidance on claiming benefits. If you need help, please contact us on 03333 204555, email email@example.com or via live chat on our website between 8am and 5pm Monday to Friday.
We have plenty of support information on our website: www.progressgroup.org.uk/support-wellbeing/. Over the coming months, we will be sharing advice on our social media: follow us on Facebook www.facebook.com/ProgressStreetTalk and Twitter @ProgressHG.
Citizens Advice also provides an energy and financial advice service offering free, independent, confidential, impartial information and advice. If you need help, they can be contacted on 0800 144 8848 or the debt helpline on 0800 240 4420. They also provide a webchat service on www.citizensadvice.org.uk between 8am and 7pm, Monday to Friday.
You can also find useful resources and support information here: Community support and useful resources | Progress Housing Group (progressgroup.org.uk)