Typhoons RUFC 2022 - it's been a great year to be your sponsor!
We've been proud to sponsor Typhoons RUFC throughout 2022 and continue our support into 2023.
Kris Barber-Midgley from the club got in touch to update us on a successful year for Lancashire's first inclusive rugby club!
Five years of inclusive rugby marked by awards and celebration.
In January 2023, Typhoons RUFC will celebrate its five-year anniversary. Our first session may have been attended by only a handful of people, but the club has now grown to support over 80 individuals representing every strand of diversity.
Throughout its time, the club has focused on bringing new people into the sport, particularly those from the LGBTQ+ community and those from communities which may have previously not felt able to participate in sport. We've also welcomed ex-players back to the sport, many of them citing our welcoming, supportive and 'family feel' as reasons for their returns.
Approaching our fifth year, our current season has been marked with celebration:
- Being nominated and winning at the National Diversity Awards
- Being nominated for and winning the "Club of the year at the Preston Sports Awards
- Winning "Club of the Year" at the Active Lancashire Sports Awards
- Finalist in the BBC Make a Difference Awards
- Strong performance in the first ever IGR Touch League table in our first ever competitive touch league
- Winning the IGR Northern Development League
- Runners up in the IGR National Development League
- Promotion to IGR Northern Tier 1 league
- Our Typhoons rugby union team has had a strong start to it's 22/23 season, having won three of our four fixtures to date
- We raised £1,330 as part of Movember, and ran a social media campaign and fundraiser as part of World AIDS Day
- Over Christmas, we will be making hamper donations to a number of foodbanks.
None of the above would be possible without the support of wonderful local organisations and sponsors such as Progress Housing Group. A big thank you from all of us at Typhoons RUFC, and we look forward to continuing our relationship into 2023 with the Group as our front-of-shirt touch team sponsor!
Kris Barber-Midgley, Sponsorship and Development Officer for Typhoons RUFC
About Typhoons RUFC
Typhoons RUFC trains on Thursday and Friday evenings at Preston Grasshoppers as well as participating in a wide range of local and community events to raise awareness of inclusion in sport. The club continues to champion mental health and supports its players in a number of ways which supports and challenges everyone to achieve their best on and off the pitch.