What is the Stop Social Housing Stigma campaign all about?
At Progress Housing Group, we are keen to help reduce negative stereotypes and fully support the work of the tenant-led group Stop Social Housing Stigma.
We want to help more people understand their work, so we invited members of the group to speak about their achievements during an online information session.
With 4 million households across the UK living in social housing, they are keen to show how they, like non-social housing tenants, contribute significantly to society. They love the homes they are in and are proud to be social housing tenants.
Through their work, they aim to:
- Develop local awareness campaigns with landlords and tenants, and support local actions plans to address social housing stigma across England
- Provide training, consultancy for colleagues and residents on addressing specific issues and complaints about stigma
- Call out and comment on anything which further stigmatises social housing
- Challenge and support the truth, through their Twitter page, website and media
- Contribute and promote good practice and research aimed at reducing and eradicating stigma
They also plan to develop a working relationship with the Housing Minister and ask MPs to support their campaign, through legislation in the Social Housing Bill and the Levelling Up Bill.
One of our tenants, Fiona, is an active member and tells us why she is passionate about the group’s work: “We believe being a social housing tenant is a huge asset and everyone will benefit from more popular neighbourhoods, free of stigma.
"We aim to drive forward the impact of social housing stigma on tenants, by raising awareness, challenging and taking positive action to eradicate stigma in social housing.”
Tammy Bradley, Executive Director (Operations and Support) at Progress Housing Group, said: “It was a great event, with tenants attending from a number of organisations.
“It was good to see some big myths were being busted, for example, around the level of employment in social housing, and lots more.
“It is important to highlight the key message that social housing isn’t seen as the 'bottom' of the ladder, as these tenants show they love their homes.”
How can you support their work?
- Join their committee
- Join as a resident ambassador
- Join as a landlord official supporter
Email email@example.com to get involved.
You can also pledge your support on Twitter: @sshscampaign
For more information visit Home - Stop Social Housing Stigma
Sign up for updates on your home, community and other services.
We treat your personal data with care, view our privacy notice here: https://contactus.progressgroup.org.uk/forms/statements/