During Electrical Fire Safety Week, we have been sharing important messages on social media about keeping safe.

Around half of all accidental house fires are caused by electricity. And nine out of ten electrical fires are caused by electrical products.

Electrical fittings and appliances are everywhere in our homes and it’s easy to underestimate the danger they can pose.

Being aware of the warning signs can help you avoid having an electrical fire in your home.

Please follow our electrical safety tips – it could save your life.

  1. Check that you have RCD (residual current device) protection in your fuse box
  2. Make sure your plug sockets are not overloaded. Electrical Safety First has developed an online “socket calculator” to help you to check that yours are safe: https://www.electricalsafetyfirst.org.uk/guidance/safety-around-the-home/overloading-sockets/
  3. Ensure plugs and sockets are not damaged
  4. Check visible cables and leads are in good condition
  5. Check your light fittings are not visibly damaged and that downlighters are in good working condition
  6. Check you are not storing combustible materials around your fuse box, electricity meter or electrical intake
  7. Don’t use the top of the microwave for extra storage
  8. Never trail cables under carpets or rugs
  9. Never take mains-powered electrical items into the bathroom
  10. Always switch off your electrical items when they are not in use
  11. Keep all electrical appliances clean, follow the operating instructions and keep them in good working order.
  12. Only use washing machines, tumble dryers and dishwashers when you are at home and not asleep.
  13. Do not charge items with lithium batteries, such as mobile phones, laptops, e-scooters and e-bikes overnight. In recent years, the number of fires caused by lithium batteries has rapidly increased. In the last three years, over 70% of these incidents involved a charger. 

For more advice on reducing fire risks with lithium batteries, read this advice from Lancashire Fire and Rescue Service: Rechargeable Batteries - Lancashire Fire and Rescue Service (lancsfirerescue.org.uk)

 

Stay safe at Christmas

From lights and toys to decorations, electrical items are everywhere over Christmas. But please check your fairy lights are in good working order before use and don’t overload your sockets.

  • Avoid daisy-chaining extension cords when hanging lights and decorations.
  • Switch off all lights and decorations when you go to bed.
  • Use low voltage LED lights. They last longer and save on your energy bills. Older 240v mains fairy lights are dangerous when damaged. A blown bulb can cause electrocution and cause other bulbs to become very hot. Therefore, it is important to change blown bulbs quickly.

 

Sign up for updates on your home, community and other services

We treat your personal data with care, view our privacy notice here: https://contactus.progressgroup.org.uk/forms/statements/

sign up for updates in your community