Council tax is set by your local authority or council and it pays for local services like your rubbish collection, schools and repairs to the roads.

It can be quite a large part of your yearly outgoings so it is important to know how much it is going to cost and whether you will be able to afford to pay it.

Find out your council tax rate

To find out how much council tax you pay, please click here, enter your postcode and select your address.

In England the council tax bands are based on what the property was worth in 1991.

Do I receive a discount?

The council tax bill is based on two adults living at the property.

If you live on your own then you will only pay 75% of your council tax. So if your council tax was £1000 per year you would only pay £750.

You will get a 50% discount if nobody living in your home (including you) is classed as an adult.

These people don't count as an adults for council tax purposes:

  • Children under 18
  • People on certain apprentice schemes
  • 18 and  19 year olds in full-time education
  • Full-time college and university students
  • Young people under 25 who get funding from the Skills Funding Agency or Young People’s Learning Agency
  • Student nurses
  • British Council registered foreign language assistants
  • People with a severe mental disability
  • Live-in carers who look after someone who isn’t their partner, spouse or child
  • Diplomats.

Discounts for people with a disability

You may be eligible for the Disabled Band Reduction Scheme if you live in a larger property than you would need if you or another occupant weren't disabled.

Please click here to find out more.

Discounts for people with a low income

If you have a low income then you might be able to apply for Council Tax Reduction (CTR) or Council Tax Support.

Each local authority has different rules about CTR. You can check to see whether you are eligible for a reduction by clicking here.

Further information

For more information about council tax, please visit the Government's website by clicking here.

For further information about council tax in your local area, please select your council from the list below:

If you don't know your local council or local authority, please
click here.