Our Board's Got Talent
OUR BOARD'S GOT TALENT!
If you think you have the x factor or want to have your voice heard at strategic level, our trainee board member programme is for you.
In three years’ time, we will be 30.
That’s 30 years since we committed to making a real difference to people’s lives. We have grown in number, expertise, and impact since those early days.
Can you help us make the next two years count even more?
We are looking for enthusiastic, creative and committed people who live in our communities to help us shape our future organisation.
You will join the second cohort of our award-winning two-year part-time board trainee programme.
What does it involve?
The programme involves a mixture of training, mentoring, coaching and observations to help you develop the skills needed to contribute to board discussions.
It will include:
- Induction training to help you understand the different businesses that make up the Group as a whole
- Technical training in a number of subjects to give you the confidence to ask questions around finance, risk and performance
- Sector training to help you understand how the Group meets the needs of its customers
- Formal training from the Housing Diversity Network, with the opportunity to meet trainees from other organisation who can provide peer support
- Internal Buddy sessions from an existing non-executive director to help guide you through your first few months
- An external mentor to support you as an individual to get the most out of the programme
The commitment varies over the two year programme. We cover a lot of information at the start while you go through your initial induction. Sessions with the Housing Diversity are once a quarter and you’ll have the opportunity to observe approximately 10 meetings a year – usually between 4-6pm or 4-8pm on a Monday. You’ll need to attend four formal mentoring sessions over the two years and can take as much advantage of the internal buddy, coaching and support sessions as you want. The more you put in, the more you get out.
Who can apply?
We welcome applications from anyone who has either a lived experience of social housing and/or can bring diversity to our board in terms of cultural background, identification, ability, gender or age.
No experience is required. All we ask for is commitment to the role and a passion for social value and responsibility.
How much does it cost?
The programme is free. As a trainee you will be paid £1,500 per annum plus travel costs.
The first step is to get in touch with the Governance Team – we want to know more about you, why you’re interested in the role and if you have any questions at this point. You can drop us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org or give us a call on 03333 204555 and ask to speak to Gillian Hayhurst, Head of Governance and Deputy Company Secretary.
We will be holding an information and interview day in Autumn 2021. This will give you an opportunity to get more of a feel for the programme and hear from those involved in the programme. We will further explore with you your commitment to the role and future aspirations. There’s several opportunities available and we’ll aim to start the formal programme after Christmas.