Here you will find everything you need to know about repairing and maintaining your home from how to report repairs to personalising and decorating your home.

The quickest and easiest way is to report a repair online at any time of the day is by using our repair reporting tool.

Report a repair


Alternatively you can report a repair in the following ways:

By telephone: 03333 204555 - lines are open between 8am and 6pm, Monday to Friday and outside of these times for emergencies

In person: at any of our offices

In writing: Progress Connect, Sumner House, 21 King Street, Leyland, Lancashire, PR25 2LW

Repair FAQs

The specific details as to who is responsible for repairs to your home are contained in your lease or transfer agreement. 

As these details will be different for different properties it is not possible to include this information here.

If you need any help finding out this information then please contact us.

If you live in a house it is unlikely that we will ever need access to it.

If you live in a flat then sometimes we may need access to your property to enable us to carry out repairs to the block.

Most lease agreements for flats allow the landlord entry in order to carry out urgent repairs that threaten the health and safety of others. We may inspect external repair requests without you being present.

We will always write to let you know when we are carrying out planned maintenance work. We will give you a month’s notice before the work starts and we will try to accommodate any special requirements or arrangements you have while the job is being done.

Some properties have the benefit of a sinking fund. 

This is an amount of money that is kept in a separate account and is used to pay for planned repairs to the property, for example, replacing the roof and external painting, which are usually quite costly items. 

A sinking fund is only in place where Progress Housing Group retains some repairing responsibilities for the property.

The sinking fund can be collected in two ways;

  • For most properties the sinking fund is collected via your monthly service charge
  • For some schemes the sinking fund is collected as a lump sum on the sale of the property.

Should you sell the property, the money held in the sinking fund transfers with the ownership of the property and is considered an asset of the property.

If you are unsure as to how your sinking fund is collected, the details are contained in your lease agreement or you can contact us.

If we need to carry out repairs to your property which will coast you £250 or more we are required to carry out a consultation. This is referred to as a Section 20 Consultation and the process is set out in the Landlord and Tenant Act 1985. 

This process is in place to ensure you are properly informed of the requirement to carry out expensive repairs and maintenance works.

The process starts by works being identified. When it is established that the cost of the proposed work will require a contribution of £250 or more we will write to you to notify you of our intention to carry out works. This letter will detail the works to be carried out and will give you an opportunity to nominate a contractor to be invited to price for the works.

A nominated contractor does not need to be on Progress Housing Group’s list of approved contractors. However, they are required to meet the Group’s requirements for contractors and will be required to provide documentation to prove this is the case.

Under the Section 20 consultation process you have the right to make written observations following each stage. You also have the right to view all the documentation involved in the process at our offices. The details of this will be provided to you in the letters we send you as part of the consultation process. 

The Section 20 Consultation process is quite in depth. Should you require any further information regarding this matter please contact us.

Alternatively you can find independent advice from the Leasehold Advisory Service.

Once the works have been completed, usually we will take the cost of the works from your reserve fund.  If there are insufficient monies held in your reserve fund to cover the cost, the difference will be invoiced to you on a separate basis

If you would like to carry out any improvements to your leasehold or shared ownership property you will usually need to write to us providing full details of the works you would like to carry out.

Once these have been considered the Leasehold and Service Charge Team will respond confirming if permission is granted or denied.

If you live in a block of flats we are not usually able to give permission to any improvements that will alter the structure of the building.

Please write to:

Leasehold and Service Charge Team,
Sumner House,
21 King Street,
PR25 2LW

If you need any aids or adaptations to enable you to live in your home, your local Social Services may be able to assist you. 

If you live in a leasehold or shared ownership property, any physical changes to the property would have to be agreed with ourselves before any work is carried out.  If this is the case you should contact the Leasehold and Service Charge Team with written details of the adaptation required, together with a copy of the Occupational Therapist’s report.

Please write to:

Leasehold and Service Charge Team,
Sumner House,
21 King Street,
PR25 2LW

Progress Housing Group will not be responsible for the work or costs connected to the provision of any aids and adaptations to your property.


What would be classed as an eligible shared ownership internal home repair?

See below for a list of eligible repairs


  • Cistern constantly flowing
  • Cistern needs to be re-fixed to the wall
  • Cistern not filling with water
  • Cistern not flushing
  • Cistern cracked
  • Cistern overflowing
  • Toilet bowl is cracked
  • Toilet bowl is cracked and leaking
  • Toilet needs to be re-fixed to the floor
  • Push button or handle broken


  • Pipes are leaking
  • Tap is broken
  • Tap s dripping
  • Tap is loose
  • Plughole grill is broken

Wash hand basin

  • Fixing to the wall is loose or broken
  • Pipe is leaking
  • Plughole is cracked
  • Tap is leaking
  • Hand basin is cracked


  • Water is leaking out of the shower
  • Shower screen is broken
  • Shower tray is cracked or broken
  • Plughole grill is broken
  • No cold water
  • No hot water
  • No water at all

Sink unit

  • Sink unit broken or damaged

Taps and waste pipes

  • Tap is faulty
  • Sink waste pipe or tap is leaking
  • Tap is loose
  • Plughole grill is broken


  • Socket or switch is not working
  • Socket or switch is broken or loose
  • No power in socket or switch


  • Faulty light attached to my home
  • Light fitting is loose
  • Light fitting is broken
  • Pull cord is broken or loose
  • Supply pipe or wastewater pipe is leaking or burst

Gas boiler

  • Boiler is loose on the wall
  • Boiler is faulty
  • Gas or water pipework to the boiler is leaking
  • Gas or water pipework to the boiler is loose

Electric heating

  • Electric heater is loose
  • Electric heater is faulty or not working

Heating controls

  • Room thermostat, programmer or timer, faulty
  • Room thermostat, programmer or timer, broken


  • Radiator is loose
  • Radiator is leaking
  • Radiator valve is leaking or faulty


If we haven't answered your question or if you need further information then please contact us.