Tips for keeping your home secure
There are some simple things that you can do to keep your home safe and secure.
- Locate the water stopcock so you know how to turn off the water supply in the event of a burst pipe or leak
- Find out where your gas and electric meters are located and learn how to turn the power or gas supply off in an emergency
- Find your fuse box and learn how to change the fuse or re-set the switches if you need to
- Keep a torch near your electricity meter or fuse box in case of power cuts
Keep your home secure
- Fit window locks to all your windows and especially those on the ground floor
- Keep your doors locked even when you are in the house or garden
- Get to know your neighbours or even better; set up a Neighbourhood Watch Scheme in your community
- Report suspicious activity to the police by calling 999
- Don’t leave valuables in public view or near windows or doors
- Don’t let anyone into your home without checking for identification
Discounted home contents insurance
Progress Housing Group does not insure your furniture and personal possessions, this is your responsibility.
It’s a good idea to consider what a home contents insurance policy would cover you for in order to help you make an informed decision on whether you need one.
Contents insurance is designed to help protect your possessions. No matter how careful you are, there’s always a risk that your belongings could be broken, damaged or stolen so home contents insurance can help provide peace of mind.
To help you decide whether home contents insurance is right for you, Progress Housing Group has teamed up with Thistle Tenant Risks, who provide the My Home Contents Insurance Scheme, a specialist Tenants Contents Insurance policy.
The My Home Contents Insurance Scheme can offer you insurance for the contents of your home including cover for items such as furniture, carpets, curtains, clothes, bedding, electrical items, jewellery, pictures and ornaments.
How do I get further information?
- Ask your local housing officer for an application pack.
- Call Thistle Tenant Risks on 0345 450 7288
Alternatively, please visit www.thistlemyhome.co.uk (opens in new tab) for more information or to request a call back.
The National Housing Federation is an Appointed Representative of Thistle Insurance Services Ltd. Thistle Insurance Services Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority FRN 310419. Lloyd’s Broker. Registered in England under No. 00338645. Registered office: Rossington’s Business Park, West Carr Road, Retford, Nottinghamshire, DN22 7SW. Thistle Insurance Services Ltd is part of the PIB Group.