What happens if I cannot pay my rent?

Iou YellowMoney you owe to your landlord is called rent arrears. If you do not pay your rent you will get into arrears. 

Housing Benefit GreenIf Housing Benefit is paying all or some of your rent and it stops then you will also get into arrears.

Rent is one of the most important bills that you must pay. Not paying your rent can be very serious because you could lose your home.

How can you help me clear my rent arrears?

If you get behind with your rent your supported housing officer will be happy to work with you to stop things getting worse.

Talk BluePlease talk to them as soon as possible so that you can plan to pay back what you owe.

We will be able to check if you are claiming all the benefits that you are owed.

Time PinkRemember that your money problem will not go away and the longer you leave it the harder it will be to sort things out.

We are here to help you if you are finding it hard to pay your rent.

What happens if I ignore my rent arrears or I do not keep to my payment agreement?

If you make the payments that we have agreed with you then we will take no further action.

Gavel YellowIf you fail to keep to your agreement then we might have to start court action to make you leave your home.

This is because we need the rent from your home to be able to provide services to other people.

Money iconCourt action will mean that you would have to pay the cost of going to court. This is usually around £400.

We will do everything we can to avoid you losing your home, but the responsibility for paying your rent is yours.

If you are struggling then please speak to your supported housing officer or your support provider for advice as soon as possible.

You can also get independent advice from any Citizen's Advice Bureau.