If you wish to transfer a tenancy, would like to exchange your home with another tenant or are moving on then there a few things you need to do.

Ending your tenancy

If you would like to move out of your property, you must give us four weeks’ notice in writing from a Monday (if you pay your rent weekly).

Your 4 weeks’ notice will begin on the Monday following us receiving your completed form.

During this four week period we will arrange to carry out a pre-termination inspection.

To terminate your tenancy, please contact us on 03333 204555 or visit our reception at Sumner House, Leyland or Jubilee House, Lytham St Annes.

Download a tenancy termination form.

When you move out

  • Remove all your personal belongings and ensure the property is clean
  • Settle outstanding bills for your rent, council tax, water and any other services you use
  • Read all the meters and send a copy of the recordings to the energy suppliers (make sure you keep a copy for your own records)
  • Lock doors and windows and return all keys to Jubilee House or Sumner House or send your keys to us via recorded delivery
  • If you need furniture removing then please consider Furniture Matters. They offer refurbished white goods at low cost to people in need.

There are also some other ways which a tenancy could end which are outlined below. 

A mutual exchange is when two or more people agree to swap homes. This is the fastest and easiest way to move. You have the right to exchange your home with a tenant of your current housing association, another housing association or a local council although there are some exceptions.

Another way of moving home is by requesting a transfer. You may want to transfer to another property for a number of reasons and we prioritise those people whose needs we recognise as being more urgent.

You can find out more about exchanges and transfers by visiting our Exchanges and Transfers page.

We realise that the death of a relative or close friend is a difficult and emotional time and we will be as sympathetic and supportive as possible during the bereavement period.  We would however appreciate it if you could let us know if a tenant has died as soon as possible.

Find out more about letting us know if someone has passed away.

If you have any questions about how to deal with tenancy matters on the death of a relative or friend then please contact us on 03333 204555.

If you are a tenant who has resided in a housing association property for a specified period then you may have the right to buy the home you live in at a discounted rate.

Whether you are eligible is quite complicated so we would advise you to contact us on 03333 204555 for specific details. Further information is available by clicking here.

For further information please refer to our Moving on guide  or contact us.


Unwanted furniture? We can help. 

To arrange a free collection of unwanted furniture/homeware if you are a Progress Housing Group tenant, or if you are leaving a Progress Housing Group property, please call the Progress Connect Team on 0333 320 4555 or email enquiries@progressgroup.org.uk. You will need to provide your name, address, contact number and what items you have for collection. Additionally, if you require furniture (at a small fee), please contact us on the details above listing what items you require.

The Furniture Matters project is initially available to Progress Housing Group tenants across Fylde, South Ribble and Preston, however as the project progresses, the geographical area of benefit may be subject to change.