Open Shortcuts - pay online, report a repair & more >
Damp and condensation
How to stop damp and condensation forming in your home
To keep your home free from damp and condensation, follow the helpful hints below:
- Keep your home warm – it is better to have your heating on at a low temperature for extended periods.
- Wipe off any condensation (water) that forms on any window and surface
- Improve the ventilation in your home by opening your windows whenever possible – especially if you are cooking, bathing or drying clothes
- Never dry clothes indoors or put clothes on radiators – this can create up to five litres of water in the air
- Do not block your radiators/ heaters or air vents
- Keep lids on pots and pans when cooking and keep your door closed
- If you have an extractor fan in either your kitchen or bathroom or both, use it when cooking or bathing Remember! We work very hard to maintain the highest levels of safety in your home, but we need to work together to ensure that your home is a safe place for you and your family to live. Please help us to help you by following the handy hints and top tips provided in this article and by always allowing us access to your home to carry out any safety tests and checks.
- If you use a tumble dryer, make sure the external vent/hose leads outside your home