Skip to main content Skip to footer

What to do in an emergency

If there's a danger to life or property, call our emergency phone line 0333 320 4555. It's available 24/7.

In an emergency

If you've got no gas or electricity, a water leak, or need an emergency repair, head to our emergency guide below.

Call our emergency line if there's a danger to life or property. It's available 24/7.

0333 320 4555 

If you are suffering harassment or threats of harm, then you should report it to the police straight away. If you fear for your safety, report the incident to the police by dialling 999. Call 101 or report it on the police website to report a non-urgent incident.

Go outside

Call 0800 111 999

If you have concerns about safeguarding, including modern slavery, please contact us using the details below. 

Click here for support with domestic abuse or homelessness.


Emergency repairs

For emergency repairs, please call us on 0333 320 4555.

For emergencies relating to domestic abuse or community safety where you feel that you or someone else is in danger, please contact 999. If you can’t speak then cough or make a noise then tap 55 on keypad and follow instructions. 

Emergency repairs are to remove a life-threatening danger or rectify serious damage to the property.

If you have an emergency repair, please telephone 0333 320 4555.

  • Burst pipes, severe roof leaks or flooding
  • Unsafe electrical fittings or wiring
  • Blocked main drains or blocked soil pipe to the only toilet (not a blocked sink)
  • Complete loss of electrical power or lighting
  • Complete loss of heating, if there is no alternative source
  • Unsecured external doors or windows (unless damaged by you, your family or visitors to your home)
  • Lift failure
  • Failure of warden alarm call system
  • Offensive or racist graffiti.
You can check the priority status of a repair you've logged by signing up or logging into your tenant account. 

If you've lost electricity or gas supply

Contact your local network operator by calling 105. You can also visit for more information and to find out who your local network operator is.

Call us on 0333 320 4555 if you don't seem to have gas coming to your property but don't smell a gas leak.

If you can smell gas or think there's a gas leak.

Go outside

Call 0800 111 999

If you can smell gas or think there's a gas leak

  • Open your doors and windows so the gas can escape
  • Don't smoke or use matches or cigarette lighters
  • Don't turn light switches or anything electrical on or off, including mobile phones

If you can, turn off your gas supply at the meter and leave it switched off until you're sure it's safe to turn it back on again

Then, you should go outside and call the National Gas Service Emergency Line on 0800 111 999 to report a suspected gas leak. They'll advise you from there.

Don't go back inside until they've given you the all clear.

Flooding and escape of water

You can check your flood risk and keep up-to-date with the latest situation at

If you are affected by flooding or experiencing an urgent water leak in your home, please get in touch with us immediately on 0333 320 4555.

If water has escaped and caused damage, we call this ‘escape of water’ – and it’s important to know what to do if it happens.  


Escape of water is the insurance term used to describe a water leak within your home. It’s not the same as flooding which is often from extreme weather or another external event.

What are the five most common causes of escape of water

  • Household appliance leaks, for example, washing machines
  • Sinks and bath drains
  • Frozen pipes
  • Radiator or boiler leaks
  • Rainwater gutters. 

If you have escape of water in your home, please take reasonable action to stop any further damage to your home. If you don’t take action, this may affect your insurance claim, and you may need to pay a contribution.

We recommend you: 

  • Switch off the water supply using the stop tap
  • Switch off the appliance causing the leak if possible, or avoid using it
  • Move your personal items from the affected area if possible
  • Place a container to catch the leak if possible
  • Soak up the leak with towels or mop if possible

Please contact us immediately on 03333 204 555 to report this as an emergency repair. The line is open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. If needed, we’ll send someone to help you as soon as possible to stop the leak or the damage caused. 

If your home has any escape of water, please move your items from the affected area to avoid damage if possible. As a housing provider, we do not insure your personal items, and we strongly recommend you have suitable contents insurance

Make sure your household appliances, such as washing machines or dishwashers, are fitted by a competent person, e.g., a plumber as per the manufacturer’s instructions.

Check your appliances for any blockages and make sure you clear out any filters regularly. 

Look out for signs of mould or wear and tear in the tile grout, and make sure sealant is maintained and replaced when needed.

Do not pour cooking fat or oil down your kitchen sink or drains; they will begin to run slowly and eventually block up – causing water to overflow.  

When the outdoor temperature is below freezing (0°c), keep your heating on frost protection to prevent the water in your pipes from freezing. 

Smart water detectors can help prevent a small leak from becoming more significant. It’s worth checking with your utility company if these could be provided (sometimes free of charge). 

If you need to regularly top up a gas combination boiler, you may have a leak. Please report this contact us immediately on 0333 320 4555. Look out for small rusting patches, water on the pipes, or dampness on the floor. 

Ensure all external gutters and down pipes are clear of grass and leaves. 

Ensure you know where to find your stop tap in your home. This is usually under your sink, but may also be under the stairs or in a downstairs toilet. 

Every six months, make sure you turn your stop tap off and on to help prevent it from seizing. 

There is often a small valve called a ballofix. This has a slot for a screwdriver, and by turning the slot a quarter turn, you can isolate the supply to the basin, sink, bath, and toilet cistern. This isolates to one appliance, allowing you to still get water to all other parts of your home. 

Escape of water can damage your personal belongings and your home, so we strongly recommend you have suitable contents insurance. If the damage to your home is significant, you may need to move into temporary accommodation whilst repairs are done. Check whether the repair is your responsibility or our responsibility. 

Simple DIY repairs

Watch 'how to' videos on simple non-emergency repairs
  • What to do in a gas emergency
  • How to switch off electrics in an emergency
  • How to turn off your water supply
  • How to unblock a toilet
  • How to fix a blocked pipe or sink