Skip to main content Skip to footer

Contents insurance

It is your responsibility to make sure that the contents of your home are insured against damage or theft.

Contents insurance offers cover for your contents and personal belongings if you rent a property.

While we will take care of buildings insurance - and any contents they provide if the property is furnished - it’s up to you to insure your belongings against theft and damage.

To help you decide whether home contents insurance is right for you, we have teamed up with Thistle Tenant Risks, and Allianz Insurance plc, who provide the My Home Contents Insurance Scheme, a specialist Tenants Contents Insurance policy.

The My Home Contents Insurance Scheme can offer you insurance for the contents of your home, including cover for items such as furniture, carpets, curtains, clothes, bedding, electrical items, jewellery, pictures and ornaments.

  • Find out where your gas and electric meters are located and learn how to turn the power or gas supply off in an emergency
  • Find your fuse box and learn how to change the fuse or re-set the switches if you need to
  • Locate the water stop-tap so you know how to turn off the water supply in the event of a burst
  • Keep a torch near your electricity meter, in case of power cuts.

  • Fit window locks to all your windows and especially those on the ground floor
  • Get to know your neighbours or, even better, set up a Neighbourhood Watch Scheme in your community
  • Report suspicious activity to the police
  • Don’t leave valuables in public view or near windows or doors
  • Don’t let anyone into your home without checking for identification; use a door chain.
contents home insurance information

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help from our friendly Customer Contact Team.