Moving house can be an extremely busy time but by following the advice, tips and checklists below we hope that your experience is as stress-free as possible and a happy memory.

As soon as you move into your new home, it is important that you take gas and electricity readings and contact your utility companies to connect to services. It is also important that you have taken meter readings and cancelled any services connected in your old home.

Tenancy Agreements

If you wish to read through one of our DRAFT Tenancy Agreements before signing yours, you can ask us any questions you may have before going ahead.

Affordable Rent Tenancy Agreement

Combined Starter and non Shorthold Assured Tenancy Agreement

Pictorial Tenancy Agreement


Sign up for your online tenant account

Keep on top of your rent and repairs when and where you want to - any time, any device, anywhere.

It takes minutes to activate your tenancy account - all you need is your 9-digit tenancy reference number.

You'll find this on your rent statement and letters, or you can speak to a live chat advisor and they will give it to you.


Connecting your gas supply

Contact the National Grid to find out who currently supplies gas to your property.

You will need:

  • The postcode of your new property
  • A pen and paper to take down the reference number

The system will tell you:

  • Your gas meter reference number
  • Your current gas supplier and their telephone number

Read the gas meter and have the meter reading ready to give to your supplier.

Contact your current gas supplier on the number you were given in Step 1. Tell them that you are the new occupier and give them the meter reading. Before the supply can be installed, they may need to come and adjust the meter to clear any outstanding debt that may have been left by the previous occupier.

Connecting your electricity 

Read the electricity meter and have the reading ready.

Contact UK Power and advise them that you are the new occupier. They will tell you who your electricity supplier is.

Contact the supplier and give them the electricity meter reading and arrange for the supply to be put in your name. Once again, they may need to adjust the meter before they can switch your electricity supply on.

It may be a good idea to review the current suppliers to the property to ensure that you are getting the best deal. 

You can find out more about changing your utility company in order to save money here.

Gas and electricity safety checks

Once you have changed both the gas and electricity supplies into your name then please contact us on 0333 320 4555. We will arrange for your gas system to be commissioned so that you can use it. If you have a pre-payment meter, you must have credit on both your gas and electricity meter for us to carry out this service.

Where possible an appointment will be made within 24 hours but please allow up to seven days. If you do not arrange this gas commission you will not be able to use your central heating boiler or gas appliances.

Your water supply

The water supply should be connected when you move into your new home. Contact United Utilities to set up an account.  You will need to give them your name, address and the date you moved in. If you have a meter, you will need the reading.


If you wish to have a telephone line and/or broadband connected, contact the phone provider that you would like to use. If you had a telephone line at your last property and you are still living in the same area, you may be able to keep the same phone number.

Who else will I need to contact?

There are certain organisations that need to know that you have moved house and you should make arrangements to tell them as soon as possible. These include:

  • Your doctor and dentist
  • TV Licensing
  • Your local authority so that your Council Tax and other benefits are correct from the date you moved in plus your tax office if you receive tax credits
  • Your child benefit office
  • Your bank, building society and credit card companies
  • Royal Mail (to redirect mail)
  • Insurance companies for any policies that you have in place for your vehicle, life, or belongings

Content insurance 

As a tenant, you are responsible for insuring your own belongings against fire, theft or damage. As your landlord, we are responsible for insuring the building. We work with the National Housing Federation to offer discounted content insurance to our tenants to help save you money.


You may be able to keep a pet in your home but you must get permission first. Some properties are not suitable for pets. If you wish to request permission to keep a pet, please complete the pet permissions form.

Decorating your home

Most social housing homes are let fully unfurnished and the replacement of carpets, soft furnishings and interior decoration is not included in your rent or service charges.

When a tenant ends their tenancy, we will visit the property and do a pre-inspection. We will discuss the property condition and flooring with the tenant. If furnishings like carpets, curtains, and blinds are in good condition, we can agree with the outgoing tenant that they can be left for the next tenant, and no recharge will be incurred.

We also clean carpets if we believe that they are reusable. We understand carpeting a whole house is probably the biggest expenditure for new tenants, and if we can reduce this by leaving the carpet in some rooms if not all, we do.

But if the carpets are unsuitable for the new tenants, they will be removed for hygiene reasons.

We want our tenants to feel comfortable and happy in their new home, and depending on individual circumstances, we can offer support when moving in, such as offering decoration vouchers and making referrals to charitable organisations.

Please get in touch with us if you would like to find out more about how we may be able to help.

Useful links to help with furnishing your home:


Improving your home

If you wish to make any significant or permanent improvements in your property, you will need to get permission. Please read our guide to carrying out your own improvements before going ahead.